Thursday, March 18, 2010

Flying Dog Raging Bitch



Ok, so I had a Flying Dog Raging Bitch tonight. This is a Belgian Style IPA with an 8.3% ABV. I opened this tonight and poured it into a pint glass. There were about 2 fingers of head on the beer. The head stayed a while and when it faded it left some nice lacing.

Sidebar -> I don't know why the lacing needs to stay or not on beer. Doesn't seem to me like it has any practical purpose. Whatever. Back to the review.

First hit on this was hops (which is to be expected on an IPA). My problem is that this is supposed to be a Belgian style IPA. I get nothing belgian out of this beer. It is just a basic American style IPA. And to me, it doesn't balance well. Maybe THAT is the Belgian yeast. Not sure. All I know is that I am not all that happy with this beer. The hop presence is very apparent and I am not a big hop head at all, so that may be some of my underlying prejudice. Oh, who am I kidding. Yes, that is a big part of this. But, even beyond that, it just isn't doing much for me. Beer Advocate gives this an A- for some reason. I couldn't disagree more. Oh well. Flying Dog missed on this one I think.

I will give this a 2 out 5 on my grading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment